From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Review: news item and script for CPU_FLAGS_X86
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 22:50:43
1 On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 16:16:25 -0500
2 Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 01/23/2015 03:22 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > Dnia 2015-01-23, o godz. 14:26:48
6 > > Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> napisał(a):
7 > >
8 > >> On 01/23/2015 02:13 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
9 > >>> To help you enable the correct USE flags, we are providing a
10 > >>> Python script which generates the correct value from
11 > >>> your /proc/cpuinfo [1]. The Python script can be downloaded and
12 > >>> executed using the following command:
13 > >>>
14 > >>> $ wget -O - dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/cpuinfo2cpuflags-x86.py |
15 > >>> python
16 > >>
17 > >> Can we not encourage people to pipe stuff from a plain-http
18 > >> website into an interpreter?
19 > >
20 > > Find a better solution.
23 > Is there an easy way for users to verify our signatures against the
24 > keys in LDAP?
25 >
26 > Even `wget --no-check-certificate` would be a big improvement. Or
27 > since Firefox seems happy with the dev.gentoo.org certificate, we
28 > could just ask them to download it with their browsers.
29 >
30 > Longer term: can we make wget like our SSL certificate?
33 Yes, if this data or python code is to be downloaded routinely, then
34 api.gentoo.org is the new https service specifically designed for this.
35
36 Please talk to infra for a subdirectory assignment for this data/code.
37
38 Also, for python based apps, dev-python/ssl-fetch was specifically
39 designed for retrieving from api.g.o (or any url) with certificate
40 authentication.
41
42 Taking it one step further, the gentoo-keys project (uses ssl-fetch) is
43 just entering the tree and can be used to download and verify files and
44 gpg signatures of those files. app-crypt/gkeys-0.1-r1 is in the tree
45 and installs with the gentoo release media gpg keys and downloads the
46 current gentoo-devs seed file. The developers gpg keys must be
47 installed for them to be verified against.
48
49 eg:
50
51 $ gkeys verify -F dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/cpuinfo2cpuflags-x86.py
52
53 should do it, it will automatically look for a matching *.sig to use to
54 verify with against the installed gpg keys. It can even save and use
55 timestamps to prevent unneeded downloads for unchanged data in a local
56 cache.
57
58 But, for gkeys to become commonplace in usage, it also requires devs to
59 fix their current keys and LDAP data, or generate new GLEP 63 compliant
60 keys. But that is an off topic discussion
63 Brian Dolbec <dolsen>