From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: KDE3 deprecation news item. [ the GLEP 42 based variant ]
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 18:08:06
1 Tomáš Chvátal posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2009 16:13:49 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > Thanks for help :]
4
5 It sounds a bit too chatty/informal for a news item to me. Also, a few
6 phrases look unusual to my native English eye. Suggestions included,
7 YMMV as they say.
8
9 > Title: KDE3 will be masked and removed from portage
10
11 s/will be/to be/
12
13 KDE3 to be masked... looks more "proper".
14
15 > Author: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
16 > Author: Tomáš Chvátal <scarabeus@g.o>
17 > Content-Type: text/plain
18 > Posted: 2009-10-29
19 > Revision: 1
20 > News-Item-Format: 1.0
21 > Display-If-Installed: <kde-base/kdelibs-4
22 >
23 > Please turn your KDE radio on, and make sure to turn the volume to its
24 > maximum level for this important message.
25
26 I'd cut that. It's appropriate for the front-page, but consider, by the
27 time they read it as a news item, they will have seen the warning from
28 their PM, and will already have "turned their radio on" so to speak. So
29 it seems strange for a news item. At least to me.
30
31 > After multiple setbacks we have finally managed to stabilise KDE4 on
32 > both major desktop architectures (amd64 and x86), where other teams are
33 > to follow.
34
35 ... with other teams to follow.
36
37 > This means that those of you who still use KDE3 should start considering
38 > an upgrade right away, due to various reasons. [1]
39
40 Initial thought was s/due to/for/, but that still doesn't sound right. I
41 believe it's because "This means" indicates that the reasons have already
42 been outlined, so the "due to various reasons" just doesn't fit. "This
43 means" is also repeated just below, so how about removing it here, like
44 so?
45
46 For this and other reasons as discussed at [1], those of you who still
47 use KDE3 should be considering an upgrade in the near future.
48
49 > The KDE3 support is being dropped with immediate effect. This means that
50 > ebuilds are dropping KDE3 support where they were broken, or clashing
51 > with KDE4.
52
53 Effective immediately, KDE3 support is being dropped. This means that
54 KDE3 ebuilds that clash with KDE4 or are broken are being removed.
55
56 > Kde packages are moved to special overlay named as kde3 in layman. Note
57 > that this overlay is going to be user maintained and not developer
58 > reviewed. [2]
59
60 Based on a previous comment, I believe it's unbroken packages being
61 moved. Broken ones are being simply dropped. Does that need stated or
62 has that changed? Splitting that first sentence in half seems clearer to
63 me as well, and I change the wording of the second sentence slightly, as
64 well. So:
65
66 Unbroken KDE3 packages will be moved to a special overlay named kde3.
67 This can be found in layman. Note that this overlay is going to be user
68 maintained and will not be developer reviewed. [2]
69
70 You may wish to emphasize that last warning in caps (or not)...
71
72 ... WILL NOT BE DEVELOPER REVIEWED.
73
74 [The rest looks fine to me.]
75
76 Thus, all the changes together without the commentary (add the apology at
77 the end, which I omit here for space). Again, YMMV, feel free to take
78 what you like and reject the rest, or just reject all of it, for that
79 matter.
80
81 ------
82
83 Title: KDE3 will be masked and removed from portage
84
85 [other headers unchanged, omit the radio on line]
86
87 After multiple setbacks we have finally managed to stabilise KDE4 on
88 both major desktop architectures (amd64 and x86), with other teams to
89 follow.
90
91 For this and other reasons as discussed at [1], those of you who still
92 use KDE3 should be considering an upgrade in the near future.
93
94 Effective immediately, KDE3 support is being dropped. This means that
95 KDE3 ebuilds that clash with KDE4 or are broken are being removed.
96
97 Unbroken KDE3 packages will be moved to a special overlay named kde3.
98 This can be found in layman. Note that this overlay is going to be user
99 maintained and WILL NOT BE DEVELOPER REVIEWED. [2]
100
101 [rusty/apology and refs as-is]
102
108 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman