From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] OT Getting to know others in Gentoo was -> No Java Team, Java neglect was -> Reverse use of Python/Ruby versions
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 15:23:14
1 This is long. I will not reply. All is said, but a decent read if you
2 take the time.
3
4 On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 11:18:58 +0200
5 >
6 > You're saying that nobody really knows you, have you considered
7 > spending some time to reflect on how you present yourself on this
8 > mailing list and other communication channels?
9
10 Addressed below, out of order
11
12 > Maybe taking another
13 > few minutes writing an email can get your message across in a way
14 > that seems more constructive? Pure volume and repetition of issues
15 > surely doesn't benefit anyone, and quickly becomes boring.
16
17 What some perceive as volume; is simply me replying to replies to my
18 posts. I do not tend to reply when people are talking to others. I let
19 them have their conversation. Another mentioned that someone else
20 started a topic then seemed to lose interest. Seems you could be
21 accused of the same if not posting enough or stopping on a thread you
22 started.
23
24 If I said something to a group or individual in person. Then someone
25 replied. I would not ignore their reply. That is rude and
26 disrespectful.What others see as noise is me being polite and replying
27 to those who have replied to my post. It is not trying to get the last
28 word. It is simply being polite as I would in person. I would not walk
29 away mid discussion. Would you in person?
30
31 Think on that for a moment, and it should logically explain volumes of
32 mail. It also takes two to tango.... Not like I am sending repeat posts
33 that have no replies. talking to myself, etc. That would be spamming,
34 one way posting. Discussions are not spam. Though can annoy and be
35 unwanted for some.
36
37 Why email clients have a DELETE button, and also a nifty feature called
38 Filters. Do not like me. Filter any of my posts to trash. If you are
39 not doing that. They you prove my point further down.
40
41 That said, to address the first part;
42
43 Mailing lists are a HORRIBLE way to get to know someone. I would NEVER
44 assume anything about a another based on posts to a mailing list. Even
45 IRC and other things are not really that much better. I know better!!!
46
47 To get to know someone a person needs to take considerable time
48 interacting with them. Not a single person around here actually
49 interacts with me or works with me. It is not up to me for others to
50 get to know me. That is for them.
51
52 I work with other projects without any issues... Any issue I have is
53 unique to Gentoo and its rude and insulting, disrespectful community.
54
55 I purposely live and keep a private life for a reason. I do not do
56 social media etc. I have neighbors, who for years who made incorrect
57 assumptions. They could have approached and gotten to know me at any
58 time. When one did, they realized they were VERY wrong. They lived near
59 me for over a decade with incorrect assumptions. Horribly incorrect!
60
61 It is not my responsibility, nor do I need to spend my time, for
62 another to get to know me. That is their choice. Thus I do not need to
63 go out of my way to make myself known.
64
65 This same thing has happened at my local LUG. People made complete
66 incorrect assumptions causing a problem. When we met to resolve things
67 in person. Their first impression and comment was; Man did I get you
68 all wrong. I came here with one mindset. Soon as I saw you and we
69 greeted. It went out the window. That happens all the time. We never
70 discussed the problem. They realized they were wrong the second we
71 met... Problem went out the window.... They expected to meet one person
72 and another showed up... ME!!! Not who they thought I was...
73
74 Things in life are not always what they appear to be. People think I
75 drive others way. But in reality its the opposite. Recently in talking
76 in IRC others showed up in a dead channel. At my LUG my presence is
77 frequently requested. Though I rarely attend, in part due to a falling
78 out. Which the meeting previously mentioned mended. Though since I was
79 mistreated due to incorrect judgment in my own local community. It
80 changed my involvement and interest in that group. For their loss more
81 than mine. Same applies to Gentoo. These are lessons learned over time.
82
83 I do know I am a pot stirrer and that is a good thing. Even if cooking
84 all day in a crock pot. At some point things need to be stirred. That
85 is one thing that is accurately known and I acknowledge and embrace.
86
87 That said, I have met many gentoo devs in person. Sadly most of them
88 have moved on. Though some are still around. I have met Robbin/robbat2
89 in person. Though it was years ago and I doubt he recalls my
90 personality much. He did not go down to San Jose and other things.
91 Though did go out to dinner with the Gentoo crew from LWE. Robbin and I
92 have VERY different personalities. I am not your typical Tech
93 personality type.
94
95 I represented Gentoo in person at the Gentoo booth, as an official
96 representative of the Gentoo Foundation, several times at LWE in San
97 Francisco. That was the largest event Gentoo has ever had a presence
98 at to my knowledge. Thousands of people. We would interact with Gentoo
99 related vendors like OpenGear who tooks us out drinking. I am really
100 good at such things. Because despite what people around here assume. I
101 have really good people skills. Dealing with people in person and
102 online is different. I am also NEVER approached in person as I am
103 online.
104
105 The things people say and how they act towards me in Gentoo. They would
106 never in person. That is part of it. People feel empowered in ways they
107 would not. Hiding behind a keyboard. Saying things to another's face is
108 quite different. Not meaning violence or anything. Just in actually
109 looking someone in the eye when your insulting them, disrespecting,
110 etc. Not to mention other people tend to react different when they see
111 such in person.
112
113 Now not to boost, but I was one of the funner ones of the LWE Gentoo
114 group. I was more outgoing, social, cracking jokes, and surprise
115 surprise talking etc. I talk even more in person than I type....
116 Vapier/Spanky/Mike Frysinger and I got along really well. He is
117 hilarious and a really fun guy. You will never have an idea about that
118 guy either if you do not meet him. Him like myself comes off VERY
119 different via digital mediums, lists, etc.
120
121 Even those who harrassed me on the foundation lists and caused me to
122 resign as a trustee. I stayed the night at their place one night and
123 invited them to a relatives home in Northern California. Even then
124 ended up treating me in ways I would not then. Though again in person
125 next year at LWE. they would NOT come speak to me after what they did
126 to me.... They were embarrassed as I was walking and talking to another
127 Gentoo developer we both new and were friends with.
128
129 When I first showed up on -project making noise last fall. Vapier/Mike
130 sent me an email asking if I was going to go to SCALE. Which I replied
131 but my reply I think ended up in spam or junk folder he never got it.
132 Knowing that, I decided to not go to SCALE. I do not really feel close
133 enough to the Gentoo community as I did for LWE.
134
135 When I first went to LWE it was to meet my mentor, Josh Nichols, who
136 works for Github now days. It was due to the relationships built as
137 part of the Java team then. Times were very different. If Gentoo was
138 then like it is now. I would never have become a developer. The people
139 were nicer, more welcoming, etc. It is why Gentoo WAS one of, if not
140 the fastest growing FOSS project in its early days.
141
142 When people make assumptions about others based on posts to a mailing
143 list etc. It seems they may have a limited view of the world and lack
144 of world experience. The more you travel, learn other cultures, etc.
145 You learn not to assume about others. Cultures alone can be very
146 different. You also learn respect is a VERY big thing. In the US in my
147 area and others. Lack of showing respect can result in violence. In
148 business lack of respect can really be costly just the same. In Asian
149 cultures, respect is HUGE.
150
151 Not knowing me aside. My biggest gripe around Gentoo is how people
152 treat each other. How others approach me and the things they say I
153 would never. I do not go off instructing others how to conduct
154 themselves. Making assumptions about their knowledge etc and being
155 critical or flat out insulting. But all around interaction with people
156 you do not know. I would never approach someone I did not know the ways
157 I am approached. I see it happening to others so its not unique to me
158 at all. It is the present Gentoo culture, and horrible unfriendly
159 atmosphere around the community. One I have mostly been absent from.
160
161 It really blows my mind sometimes the comments people make. I
162 routinely think "Who does this person think they are". The nerve of
163 some people. To think they are so high and mighty to preach to another,
164 tell them how to conduct themselves, etc.
165
166 I live by the golden rule, and most all that has been done to me. I
167 would never to do to others. I would not stand for those things for
168 to be done to anyone. No on deserves such. Nor do I believe those doing
169 such things would feel the same if things were reversed.
170
171 C'est la vie....
174 William L. Thomson Jr.