From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: glibc: pt_chown setuid going away by default
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 02:20:13
1 Mike Frysinger posted on Thu, 11 Apr 2013 12:49:00 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Thursday 11 April 2013 11:43:59 James Cloos wrote:
4 >> >>>>> "MF" == Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> writes:
5 >> MF> this should impact very few (if any)
6 >> MF> users, so i don't think a news item makes sense.
7 >>
8 >> It will impact everyone who has /dev/pts in fstab(5).
9 >
10 > don't do that. delete the line.
11
12 I wonder if I added my devpts fstab entry (if as you say it wasn't an
13 automated add) some time ago, when there was some security related hubbub
14 over it, as significantly, my fstab entry has nosuid, noexec, while the
15 default for it in /etc/init.d/devfs does not.
16
17 My fstab devpts entry also has noauto, but that's likely simply due to it
18 being an fstab entry...
19
20 Regardless, that's at least two gentooers with installations dating from
21 the early 00s that have reported having the (GID-less) entry in fstab
22 now, so I strongly suspect it's going to affect more users, at least long-
23 time users, than you thought. It may in fact affect the majority of
24 users from that era... anyone who hasn't manually removed that entry from
25 fstab over the years.
26
27 You mention it wasn't in the old baselayout/openrc tarballs. What about
28 the early stages? Perhaps that's where it came from? Anyone with 2004.x
29 vintage stage tarballs around to check?
34 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman