From: Alistair Bush <ali_bush@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Amount of useflags enabled by default
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 00:54:38
1 > Hi,
2 >
3 > i would like to start a discussion about reducing the amount of
4 > default-enabled USE flags in profiles, especially in inherited basic
5 > profiles.
6
7 Sounds like a reasonable idea to me, for the base profiles at least.
8
9 > In addition, i see a trend to enabled more more more USE flags (either over
10 > profiles or via IUSE +flag). Whats the reason for forcing a big load of
11 > default enabled USE flags on every user including more dependencies, more
12 > compile time, more wasted disk space and more possible vulnerabilities
13 > except some users, who complain about a missing feature and are not able
14 > to think and enable a USE flag for that feature?
17 ".... who complain about a enabled feature and are not able to think and
18 disable a USE flag for that feature?"
19
20 What a couple of changes make....
21
22 It would be nice if we actually documented why they were enabled. Does the
23 use flag enable significant functionality that would otherwise make the software
24 less useful.
25
26 I believe we should be trying to find a nice 'middle of the road' balance. DE
27 "related" use flags should be enabled in profiles ( unless of coarse they
28 package is already DE related e.g if a kde package has a use flag for kde's
29 sound system, this could be enabled at a package level while a package with a
30 kde use flag should not default enable it.).
31
32 So, if we were looking at what use flags ppl are enabling/disabling we should
33 be seeing similar numbers for the "+'s" and the "-'s". Not an easy thing to
34 do, I admit. Would be interesting if something like Color Graphing [1] or
35 some algorithm could be used to determine whether a use flag should be enabled
36 in a profile (including which profile)/package. Maybe we should have some
37 addition metadata for use flags. Like a category/type/blah/blee. As an example
38 we could have a category of DE containing kde/gnome/etc. How do we know that
39 the dirac use flag is codec related without knowing what dirac is?
42 Alistair
45 [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graph_coloring