From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Removing barely used global flags
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2018 14:54:04
1 On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 12:41:03 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > We seem to have a lot of global flags that are used only by a few
5 > packages. How about moving them to local flags? List of flags with
6 > less than 5 packages using them, ordered by use count, follows. Where
7 > applicable, local flag descriptions are listed.
8 >
9 > big-endian (2 uses):
10 > dev-haskell/skein: When manually selecting the endianness, use big-
11 > endian (default is little-endian)
12 > dev-java/icedtea-bin: (global)
13
14 This was added as a global only last year following a discussion here.
15
16 https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/5e1e219ce1268bd35edc161c780bc4a5
17
18 It evidently isn't widely-used yet but it could be applicable to any
19 binary package supporting big endian systems. More importantly, it has
20 been carefully unmasked and forced in various profiles and for that
21 reason alone, I think it should stay global. It would be tedious to do
22 this for each package.
25 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
26 Gentoo Linux Developer