From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, robbat2@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: oldnet scripts splitting out from OpenRC
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 19:17:52
1 On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 09:00:17PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 11:16:06 -0500
3 > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > This means when you emerge or upgrade to openrc-0.12, the net.* scripts
6 > > will no longer be included. I am going to call the separate package that
7 > > includes these scripts gentoo-oldnet.
8 >
9 > Aside all the other, please don't name it like this :). It's just feels
10 > wrong to start new and supposedly beneficial project and name it 'old'
11 > like something you just thrown away off the main tree.
12
13 The name is also per robbat2's request. I asked him about other names,
14 but he specifically wanted oldnet in the name.
15
16 A little bit of historical background may be in order here.
17
18 In a nutshell, it is called old because Roy wanted to deprecate the
19 whole thing eventually and switch us over to the newnet scripts that
20 OpenRC has.
21 name.
22
23 We thought about killing off newnet entirely for a while in OpenRC, but
24 I have since found that people do use it. It is more similar to what
25 happens on the *bsd side, and it works well for simple setups.
26
27 Also, I think it is more like what some other distros do for their
28 network interfaces.
29
30 The primary disadvantages of newnet are that services can't depend on a
31 single network interface, and it is not possible to stop/start a single
32 interface.
33
34 William