From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: ebuild development (vpopmail, etc.)
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 01:22:10
1 Casey Allen Shobe posted <200507181813.28298.lists@×××××××××××××.com>,
2 excerpted below, on Mon, 18 Jul 2005 18:13:28 +0000:
3
4 > On Monday 18 July 2005 06:57, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
5 >> On Sun, 2005-07-17 at 22:07 -0700, Anthony Gorecki wrote:
6 >> > On Sunday, July 17, 2005 9:26 pm, Casey Allen Shobe wrote:
7 >> > > I'm also a bit confused about the portdir_overlay thing - If there
8 >> > > exists a -r15, do I then add a -r16 to make emerge realize an update
9 >> > > is available. What happens then when an -r16 hits the regular
10 >> > > portage tree?
11 >> >
12 >> > Nothing at all. If there's a conflict between the standard tree and
13 >> > your overlay, the ebuild in the overlay takes priority.
14 >>
15 >> In other words, something very important: You miss all the potentially
16 >> critical changes contained in the new "official" revision.
17 >
18 > So if I read correctly, when using an overlay, just don't change the
19 > version number - a rebuild will be sufficient to use the overlay version.
20 > Righto.
21
22 Exactly. The overlay is used first, if a copy exists there.
23
24 Of course, you'll need to re-digest the changed version, and anything in
25 FILESDIR it uses will need to be moved to the overlay FILESDIR, or an
26 attempted merge of the package with an overlay copy existing will fail,
27 (IOW, it will prefer the overlay copy and fail if the digest doesn't
28 match, even if a digest matching copy exists in the main portage tree),
29 but that should follow from the above.
34 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
35 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list