From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo World Domination. a 10 step guide
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 14:25:03
1 On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 07:00 -0400, Thomas Cort wrote:
2 > There have been a number of developers leaving Gentoo in the past 6
3 > months as well as a number of news stories on DistroWatch, Slashdot,
4 > LWN, and others about Gentoo's internal problems. No one seems to have
5 > pin pointed the problem, but it seems glaringly obvious to me. We
6 > simply don't have enough developers to support the many projects that
7 > we have. Here are my ideas for fixing this problem:
8 >
9 > - Cut the number of packages in half (put the removed ebuilds in
10 > community run overlays)
11
12 I'm not sure that this really would solve much of anything. I do agree
13 that putting removed ebuilds in community-run overlays isn't a bad idea,
14 but reducing the number of packages for the sake of reducing does
15 nothing more than decrease the usefulness of Gentoo to many people.
16
17 > - Formal approval process (or at least strict criteria) for adding
18 > new packages
19
20 This sounds like too much overhead.
21
22 > - Make every dev a member of at least 1 arch team
23
24 Absolutely not. The last thing that we need from a QA standpoint is
25 having every single developer allowed "free reign" for marking their own
26 packages stable, then completely ignoring bugs for any packages that are
27 not their own.
28
29 > - Double the number of developers with aggressive recruiting
30
31 Why do people think that this is a good idea? I have a different one.
32 How about we *half* the number of developers, keeping the people who do
33 the most work, and let everyone else contribute as members of the
34 community? Having developers on projects/teams/herds/whatever that do
35 only a few commits a year doesn't do anything but artificially inflate
36 our numbers.
37
38 > - No competing projects
39
40 I wouldn't mind this. The idea of competing *official* projects seems
41 rather ludicrous. Of course, to counter this, we would need some way to
42 create "semi-official" projects. Projects that are supported within
43 themselves but not by "Gentoo" as a whole. This would allow for
44 multiple teams to create projects that competed, but then let time and
45 actual usage decide which (if any) becomes official.
46
47 > - New projects must have 5 devs, a formal plan, and be approved by the
48 > council
49
50 I only agree to the second of these three points. Projects should have
51 a plan. The council definitely should not be a bottleneck in starting
52 new projects, unless someone was going to start paying us so we can meet
53 all the time to make all these decisions. ;]
54
55 > - Devs can only belong to 5 projects at most
56
57 This is a really bad idea. Some developers simply work
58 harder/faster/more than others. Setting up some artificial limitation
59 on how many projects one can belong to won't help. Perhaps a better
60 solution here is that all developers must belong to at least one
61 project? Coupled with this would be that there would be certain
62 expectations within the project for work completed. Developers who do
63 not meet the "quota" are removed from the project. Get removed from all
64 your projects and get retired. Simple as that.
65
66 > - Drop all arches and Gentoo/Alt projects except Linux on amd64,
67 > ppc32/64, sparc, and x86
68
69 Quite honesty, Gentoo/BSD (for example) has been excellent in finding
70 issues with quality on many packages/ebuilds. The same can be said for
71 many of the architectures. Also, remember that there's a difference
72 between our supported architectures/projects and our unsupported ones.
73
74 > - Reduce the number of projects by eliminating the dead, weak,
75 > understaffed, and unnecessary projects
76
77 This would be highly subjective. Who would do this?
78
79 > - Project status reports once a month for every project
80
81 To whom?
84 Chris Gianelloni
85 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
86 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
87 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
88 Gentoo Foundation