From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Removing separate "security supported" arch list
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 01:55:57
1 On 2021-10-21 17:16, Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > On Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 4:05 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 >> 4. In the end, Security team isn't really respecting this policy.
4 >> In the end, this leads to absurdities like GLSA being released before
5 >> a package is stable on amd64, and confusing the users [4].
6 >
7 > This is certainly an absurd mistake, but I think it is unrelated to
8 > the topic of your message. It looks like Whissi jumped the gun on
9 > releasing a GLSA, which could happen regardless of the policy. Am I
10 > missing some context?
11
12 Yeah, #4 is bullshit.
13
14 The security team was never happy with the situation to hold back GLSAs
15 until last architecture was marked stable.
16
17 Saying that we are not respecting our own own policy is absurd. The team
18 discussed this in 2018 and we agreed that it is fine to already publish
19 a GLSA in case a GLSA is ready and when at least one major architecture
20 (amd64 or x86 at that time) was marked stable. That exception doesn't
21 require a formal policy update.
22
23 We even wanted to go one step further and release GLSA when no fixed
24 version is available at all to inform users and give them a chance to
25 take actions on their own (to be able to take actions on your own, i.e.
26 you first need to be aware of a problem). However, this would be too
27 complicated and would frustrate many users.
28
29 The lived practice with releasing GLSA already when just one major
30 architecture has set stable keyword (and in most cases we covered amd64
31 and x86 at release time) received good feedback and is accepted by users
32 and didn't cause any problems (can't remember that we ever got GLSA
33 feedback for other architectures than amd64 or x86).
37 Regards,
38 Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
39 fpr: C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature