From: Roy Marples <roy@×××××××.name>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Testing to see if services have crashed on hardened
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 12:07:28
1 On Friday 21 March 2008 10:37:11 Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > Assuming you would use libkvm, on Darwin this means as unprivileged user
3 > (not using suid) you can't see any processes at all.
4
5 That's different from FreeBSD and NetBSD then.
8 > > This isn't really an easy answer, as we could have installed OpenRC in a
9 > > prefix where this wouldn't apply, but we don't know that either.
10 > >
11 > > Ideas anyone?
12 >
13 > Is there a way to just have some fallback method which is less
14 > functional, but just uses some pid file with a lock or something?
15
16 Not all services use pidfiles. Also, some services re-fork and re-write their
17 pidfiles and I'm not sure the lock would carry across in that instance.
18
19 Thanks
20
21 Roy