From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o, gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-project] Portage repo usage survey and change evaluation
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2016 21:27:54
1 On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 06:46:26 -0500
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 1:11 AM, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
5 > > - Augment/replace rsync with git repo that has thick-Manifests, changelogs, metadata
8 > You're missing an option to replace rsync with a git repo that has
9 > metadata, but not the other stuff.
10 >
11 > Of course, this already exists and no doubt many are using it. It
12 > just isn't official.
13
14 It *is* official. It just isn't hosted on Gentoo Infra :-P. It's
15 officially maintained by an official Gentoo developers who happens to
16 be officially on Infra too, and officially is more reliable than
17 Infra-provided distributions channels were. Can it be more official?!
18
19 But seriously, I don't mind moving either the scripts or the mirrors to
20 Gentoo infrastructure. But...
21
22 ...as for the scripts, Infra so far didn't offer me hardware better
23 than the one donated for the scripts now. There were proposals about
24 distributing it, etc. But I simply don't have the time to work on
25 making the scripts very complex in order to make them run efficiently
26 in a complex environment, when simple scripts work very well so far.
27
28 I've already spent some effort cleaning them up and making
29 configurable. I haven't had the time to prepare proper
30 deployment/install script though. It's still in todo, and sometimes I
31 regret I don't have a backup server ready to take over whenever this
32 one fails (which is still more rare than Gentoo infra problems).
33
34 ...and as for the mirrors, nobody has offered to host them so far.
35 While GitHub provides quite a lot bandwidth, for free, without having
36 to ask and with API that makes it trivial to create and delete
37 repositories as needed. If someone can provide something like this, I
38 don't mind mirroring to 2+ hosts.
41 Best regards,
42 Michał Górny
43 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>