From: Mark Watkins <jedimark@×××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Einfo and Ebegin
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 13:41:55
1 I have a little 16x2 lcd panel sitting in the front of my little
2 gateway/mailserver. I wanted to display the basic boot/shutdown messages
3 on it, then run my uptime/link status on it after boot. After looking
4 around, I ended up adding a little bit to ebegin in functions.sh,
5 dumping messages matching certain patterns to the serial device, and run
6 my uptime/link script from /etc/conf.d/local.start
7
8 This works fine for what I want, but it did get me thinking.. Having a
9 short summary for this ebegin info would be rather handy. As far as I
10 have seen, the service startup/stop messages don't get logged (change vc
11 or start X and they are gone) and maybe a simple pluggable way for
12 setting off a generic or customized trigger when a service fails to
13 start/stop?
14
15 The messages sent to ebegin tend to be long and awkward when trying to
16 parse, and even worse damnit, these long message lines don't all fit on
17 my 16 character wide panel. ;-)
18
19 Making the startup script changes I need on my gentoo boxen has been
20 relatively straightforward for me, but still, it kind of feels like a
21 dirty hack to me. I'll admit, it's the unix way, but I'd love some kind
22 of clean way to add little extensions to do with startup stuff.
23
24 Thats my rant for the day.. :)
25
26 / Mark Watkins