From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] use.force as a complement to use.mask in profiles
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 02:35:23
1 On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 09:23:34PM +0200, Thomas de Grenier de Latour wrote:
2 > On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 00:22:50 -0700,
3 > Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > > forcing cxx on via package.mask for gcc
6 > > sys-devel/gcc[-cxx]
7 >
8 > If i want to build a cxx-free system, am i supposed to add
9 > "sys-devel/gcc[-cxx]" to its package.unmask? If so, what will prevent
10 > Portage upgrading to some package.masked 4.2_alpha version? After all,
11 > that's what a depatom interpretation would imply.
12 >
13 > Or am i supposed to carefully unmask "=sys-devel/gcc-4.1*[-cxx]" only,
14 > and pray for not overlooking the 4.2 upgrade when it comes (since it
15 > would bring cxx back in), and that there won't ever be a gcc-4.1.99-r42
16 > dev's playground?
17
18 Sarcasm aside, day or so I've sat and wondered about this one I don't
19 have a good answer.
20
21 For others who missed it, masks are collapsed into one statement,
22 unmasks are collapsed into another, visibility is determined via
23 if (!MASKED || UNMASKED) essentially.
24
25 Sliding per package use masking into a seperate file sidesteps the
26 issue via allowing for easier implementation-
27 if (!USE_MASKED || USE_UNMASKED) && (!MASKED || UNMASKED)
28
29 That said, it still is an issue when use-deps hit- there isn't
30 anything blocking a use dep being slid into the masks, requiring
31 version ranges to be used to nuke it sanely via unmask.
32
33 General problem with use deps; *could* still implement it via
34 seperating out use specific restrictions and generating the second
35 logic statement above, but that's bit magic imo.
36
37 Perhaps an alt op?
38
39 > Or am i supposed to put "-sys-devel/gcc[-cxx]" in
40 > some profile overriding file? But then, when the tree mask is changed
41 > to "sys-devel/gcc[-cxx,-fortran]", my diff rule will suddenly be lost
42 > (this method of text lines overriding is okay in the context of
43 > official profiles, where coherent changesets can be done at once, but
44 > in user's config files, it's hell to maintain).
45
46 Affect would be cumulative in that case, you'd wind up with a masking
47 of sys-devel/gcc[-fortran]
50 > In short, i hope that either i have missed something about your
51 > proposal,
52
53 No, per the norm you spotted something annoying overlooked by everyone
54 else who commented. :/
55
56 Suggestions welcome- it can be sidestepped via seperate file, down
57 the line when use-deps are available, the potential will still be
58 waiting.
59
60 Definitely grounds to force package.* instead of reusing unmask/mask,
61 but I'd still like to get some form of solution for the general issue
62 here- it's not going to go away unfortunately.
63
64 ~harring