From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new categories:
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 07:10:20
1 Maciej Mrozowski wrote:
2 > I was thinking, maybe it would be possible to drop categories completely in
3 > the future (maybe keeping symlinks for compatibility and to ease migration)
4 > and to put *all* packages in one directory - that would require making all
5 > names unique of course.
6
7 Tags for packages are not a new idea; it's been brought up on this list
8 before. But I really, really, don't like the idea of renaming packages.
9
10 So, what, we're turning into Debian? Arbitrary package (re)naming? Yuck!
11 Our current policy is to call the package what upstream calls it. We can
12 do this largely *because* of categories. There are a few noncompliant
13 packages, but the system generally works pretty well.