From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: git://anongit.gentoo.org is extremely slow
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 03:07:33
1 Nikos Chantziaras posted on Wed, 22 Apr 2015 17:11:13 +0300 as excerpted:
2
3 > Adding overlays with layman is now extremely slow after the overlays
4 > were moved to anongit.gentoo.org. Cloning anything beginning with
5 > "git://anongit.gentoo.org/" is capped at 15KB/s, sometimes 10KB/s.
6 >
7 > This is unworkably slow.
8 >
9 > Is this intentional?
10
11 Perhaps the slashdot effect of everybody almost at once needing to delete
12 and (re)add their overlays in layman, thus forcing a new clone, in
13 ordered to kill the sync errors due to the previously configured host
14 disappearing?
15
16 I had that happen a couple days ago and once I figured out that the old
17 host shutdowns was why I was getting the errors, the delete/re-add
18 process went reasonably smoothly, but that might have been before the big
19 rush.
20
21 Or maybe it's simply suffering an attack DDoS? Infra?
22
23 FWIW, once cloned, updates seem to be reasonably normal/fast, at least
24 for the two overlays (kde and x11) I have subscribed. Maybe they're
25 limiting cloning speed due to the above, figuring people will get thru it
26 eventually, to keep normal updates reasonable?
31 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman