From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: making sysvinit optional
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2019 00:19:26
1 I'm replying, because there is one more thing I want to add before I
2 head out.
3
4 On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 07:03:32PM -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
5 > On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 07:30:57PM -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
6 > > On 7/10/19 7:16 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
7 > > > 3. add a sysvinit use flag to openrc, which will be off by default. When
8 > > > it is on, openrc will block sysvinit since it will provide /sbin/init
9 > > > and /sbin/shutdown.
10 > > >
11 > >
12 > > This logic, or maybe the name of the flag, sounds backwards to me. I
13 > > only get sysvinit when USE=sysvinit is NOT set?
14 >
15 > If you don't set sys-apps/openrc[sysvinit], you would have /sbin/init
16 > and /sbin/shutdown as they are now, from sys-apps/sysvinit.
17 >
18 > If you do set sys-apps/openrc[sysvinit], /sbin/init and /sbin/shutdown
19 > would become wrappers for /sbin/openrc-init and /sbin/openrc-shutdown.
20 >
21 > Actually, I'm thinking that the use flag can't happen until the next
22 > OpenRC release, because I need to set up openrc-shutdown so it can shut down
23 > a system that is booted with sysvinit first.
28 > > > RDEPEND="
29 > > > kernel_linux? (
30 > > > || (
31 > > > sys-apps/sysvinit
32
33 Since sysvinit is first in the rdepend it will be the first choice to be
34 installed. In other words, no systems would be affected unless they
35 forcibly unmerge sysvinit. The others below are alternatives.
36
37 > > > sys-apps/systemd
38 > > > sys-apps/openrc
39 > > > sys-process/runit
40 > > > virtual/daemontools
41
42 This one I need to look at, because I'm not actually sure if it provides
43 an init.
44
46 > >
47 > > Modulo my first comment, you'll want some USE flag (un)set for
48 > > sys-apps/openrc to ensure that /sbin/init is provided.
49 >
50 > I am willing to be convinced, but I'm not sure all providers of a virtual
51 > are required to provide the same binaries. A couple of examples off the
52 > top of my head are virtual/editor, virtual/logger and virtual/mta.
53
54 William