From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Usages of CVS $Header$ keyword in ebuilds - use cases wanted
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 19:16:54
1 On 27-08-2008 11:57:30 -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > > For who is it a mess? Not for repoman users, I suppose, and everyone
3 > > should be using it, right? As the one who personally played with the
4 > > code in repoman that determines whether or not the "double commit" is
5 > > necessary, I think it's mostly a repoman internal problem. The commit
6 > > script problems put aside.
7 >
8 > So you are saying we should do what?
9 >
10 > precompute the CVS header and inject it into $header$ ourselves
11 > take the checksums
12 > generate the manifest
13 > revert the $header$ change
14 > then commit the ebuild and manifest at once
15 >
16 > ?
17 >
18 > The only reason we have double commits right now is that the $header$
19 > replacement is done by cvs at commit time so if we don't do two
20 > commits the checksums all break due to the substitution..how is that
21 > repoman's fault?
22
23 It's not. But I don't see the problem (apart from a "race condition"
24 with rsync generation) with the two commits either.
25
26 Incidently the $Header: $ "feature" just helps me a lot at the moment to
27 keep the Prefix tree up-to-date. Hence, I'm against switching them off
28 or removing them as long as we use CVS for gentoo-x86.
32 Fabian Groffen
33 Gentoo on a different level