From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Python 3.1: Stabilization and news item
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 18:57:15
1 On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 02:41:28PM -0400, Richard Freeman wrote:
2 > On 03/24/2010 02:28 PM, Joshua Saddler wrote:
3 > > On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 19:04:51 +0100 Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar
4 > > Arahesis<Arfrever@g.o> wrote:
5 > >> People, don't want Python 3, probably have already masked it. There
6 > >> is no reason to waste Council's time for decision on what sentence
7 > >> should be included in the news item.
8 > >
9 > > Not the folks running the stable tree, because they don't know about
10 > > it. They're not following the discussion here on -dev. They're going
11 > > to get unpleasantly surprised when it shows up in their next world
12 > > update.
13 > >
14 > > Include instructions on how to mask it if desired in the news item.
15 >
16 > Will not masking python-3 cause anything to break in any way? Do users
17 > need to do anything to make python-2.6 or whatever the default
18 > interpreter (instructions for using eselect python are not given in the
19 > news item)?
20
21 I'm not the python maintainer, but as I understand it,python-2.6 will
22 be the default interpretor until it is changed manually.
23
24 > If the only potential issue is that users might have a few extra files
25 > installed that they don't need but which won't cause them problems, then
26 > I don't know that we need to instruct users to create masks.
27
28 AFAIK, this is the issue. If python-3 is installed, it will cause
29 extra files to be installed, not justin python-3, but any packages that
30 support both python-2 and python-3 will potentially get files installed
31 for both versions of python.
32
33 > If having python-3 will cause stable users problems, then we probably
34 > shouldn't be stabilizing it anyway.
35
36 AFAIK, the only "problem" we are debating about is the extra files
37 being installed.
38
39 William