From: Arcady Genkin <agenkin-dated-1014051657.5dd184@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Overhaul of media-gfx/nvidia
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 11:05:31
1 "Bart Verwilst" <verwilst@g.o> writes:
2
3 > I like the simple straightforward way we have now actually... one line and
4 > we're set...
5
6 I can understand that it may seem easier to maintain one portage, than
7 two, but... [read on]
8
9 > I don't want to install multiple packages, + clutter my
10 > system with extra /opt/xxx dirs,
11
12 How is it different from cluttering (and clobbering!) your
13 /usr/X11/lib?
14
15 > and manually add a line in my XF86Config..
16 > :(
17
18 Only needs to be done once. But think about this: when you upgrade
19 your xfree port, it will overwrite the NVIDIA files, and you would
20 have to reinstall them. Consequently, when you unmerge the nvidia
21 package, you end up with an incomplete xfree installation[1].
22 Finally, when you update world, you have no way of knowing whether you
23 would be able to start X windows the next time, because the sanity of
24 the system would be determined by the order, in which the upgraded
25 packages were merged.[2] What's easier: just add a module path to
26 XF86Config once or be constantly aware of the above issues?
27
28 > And when you rebuild your kernel, remerging media-gfx only takes seconds, so
29 > why split it into 2 files to drop a few secs of compile time?....
30
31 How about people on dial-up Net connection? Unless they keep the tar
32 balls in /usr/portage/distfiles[3], my improvement may mean 300K
33 download instead of 2M one. We are not talking about seconds any
34 more. ;^)
35
36 Footnotes:
37 [1] Of course, this can be handled in post-unmerging part of the
38 nvidia package, but it isn't as it is now.
39 [2] I.e. if nvidia goes first, and xfree next, your X installation is
40 fubar-ed.
41 [3] I, for example, clean it with a cron job.
42 --
43 Arcady Genkin
44 Don't read everything you believe.