From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-core@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] crap use flags in the profiles
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 00:09:00
1 Hola all.
2
3 Out of curiousity, since for once my portage installation is *not*
4 filtering out all flags but my own, I'm wondering why it is that the
5 system default now holds a lot of use flags that aren't really related
6 to the system set of packages.
7
8 See, from my standpoint cascaded profiles exist for the sake of being
9 able to build up chunks, and merge them together. If you want a
10 desktop profile, hey, easy, just point it at the default, and import
11 that. If you want a server profile that doesn't have the crap 101 use
12 flags that are defaulted, you just define a profile there.
13
14 The common point between the two being that you depend on a minimal,
15 "this is the base profile" that is the common points, and overload
16 what you need to in the specialized profile. Iow, you jam all of the
17 crap use flags into a desktop profile, rather then forcing people to
18 do -*
21 So, fex, the following flags are rather desktop specific-
22 alsa
23 arts
24 avi
25 bitmap-fonts
26 cups
27 eds
28 emboss (why the hell is "European Molecular Biology Open Software Suite"
29 a profile default? Seems extremely specialized)
30 encode
31 fortran
32 foomaticdb
33 gnome
34 gstreamer
35 gtk
36 gtk2
37 imlib
38 kde
39 mad
40 mikmod
41 motif
42 mp3
43 mpeg
44 ogg
45 oggvorbis
46 oss
47 png
48 qt
49 quicktime
50 sdl
51 spell
52 truetype
53 truetype-fonts
54 type1-fonts
55 vorbis
56 xml2
57 xmms
58
59 That's pretty much the entire list of flags in the defaults.
60
61 Again, returning to the USE="-*" arguement, yes, they can go that
62 route. It's also kind of a crappy arguement dodging out of the fact that
63 progressive bloat going into what is effectively a base release
64 profile, when subprofiles would be better suited.
65
66 You use the capabilities cascaded profiles give you, and you can serve
67 both camps; those who want bloat, those who don't.
68
69 Question is why aren't we? Yes work is required, but everything
70 requires work- is there some stumbling block that makes the work
71 involved excessive?
72
73 Personally, I run with -* not due to filtering out profile crap, but
74 for filtering out autouse; I'm a bit disgusted by what the -* has been
75 protecting me from. In bug 93067, it's described that our default has
76 always been to aim for desktop; well, depends on your definition of
77 desktop.
78
79 I don't recall having kde/gtk crap turned on by default when I first
80 showed up. Maybe I'm missing something; regardless, the defaults
81 (which should be minimal from my standpoint) are anything but.
82
83 So... again. What is holding us back from using existing capabilities
84 to seperate this? If it's not perfectly clean doing it, what do you
85 require to make it easy/clean to do so?
86
87 Granted this phrase has been beat to fricking death, but we are about
88 choice. Again, yes, -* is a choice, it's also a rather nasty choice
89 since the user must watch the profile's themselves and duplicate the
90 use flags from there if they want the 'true' defaults. That's shoving
91 work off onto users when an alternative approach (subprofiles) could
92 handle it globally.
93
94 So yeah, subprofiles, reasons why not?
95
96 My slightly flamey 2 cents
97 ~harring