From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: mattst88@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The gx86 multilib project -- masterplan
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 20:19:33
1 On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 11:14:27 -0800
2 Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 7:12 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 > > 5. Solutions to specific problems
6 > > ---------------------------------
7 > >
8 > > 1. x11-proto packages
9 > >
10 > > Those packages install headers to /usr/include and pkg-config files
11 > > to /usr/lib64. This supposedly means that the headers could be
12 > > ABI-specific; however, so far I haven't seen a single difference.
13 > >
14 > > Possible solutions:
15 > >
16 > > a) check the headers by hand, move pkg-config files to /usr/share,
17 > >
18 > > b) make the proto packages multilib. This will cause identical .pc
19 > > files to be installed to lib32 & lib64 but will also enable eclass
20 > > checks for header consistency.
21 >
22 > See http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-devel/2012-September/033715.html
23 >
24 > In short, there seem to be a couple cases of platform-dependent
25 > substitutions in headers, but for the most part they're platform
26 > independent.
27
28 Yes, I have seen the substitutions but so far, it seems that they give
29 the same values for both amd64 ABIs. I'm not sure if other platforms
30 have the same characteristics.
31
32 I'd prefer just using b) now and getting back to this whenever
33 the header check starts to fail for some platform. Then we would have
34 to move the headers.
37 Best regards,
38 Michał Górny