From: Aaron Cohen <acohen@××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Unstable branch proposal - second round
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 09:02:19
1 Great, we will be a Debian Want a be!
2 On Mon, 2002-03-25 at 06:23, Troy Dack wrote:
3 > ( new post @ bottom, original left in for continuity ... )
4 >
5 > On Sun, 17 Mar 2002 06:46, George Shapovalov thought that we needed this:
6 >
7 > > Hi All.
8 > >
9 > > I just looked again through the recent thread and here are some thoughts I
10 > > would like to throw out.
11 > > The thread did not see that much of activity and I thought that timing was
12 > > not right - during the feature freeze right before 1.0 release. Then I
13 > > gave it a second thought and here are a few things I would like to bring
14 > > here. I will try to summarise the previous discussion and then propose
15 > > some stuff which if accepted will require a minor addition to existing
16 > > functionality and may even go in the tree before release (or to 1.x
17 > > version).
18 > >
19 > > Now to the issue.
20 > > Technically I would not call the proposed an "unstable branch". The core
21 > > which is a portage system and supporting infrastructure is going to stay
22 > > the same, there has been no call to fork that as far as I can tell (and I
23 > > am not about to do that either). The call was for producing new ebuild
24 > > submission system.
25 > > At present gentoo definitely allows submission of new ebuilds - you just
26 > > have to go to bugs.gentoo.org and submit an ebuild as described in manual,
27 > > then it gets reviewed by core developer and goes into
28 > > /usr/portage/incoming/ and later gets incorporated into the portage tree.
29 > > While a very sound submission protocol it is not very scalable if ebuild
30 > > submissions are expected to grow significantly. In such case a
31 > > decentralised submission/review schema is desired.
32 > >
33 > > One proposed way of doing this was to setup a self-managed "mirror", which
34 > > should accept all packages from developers but keep them local. New
35 > > submissions will get reviewed by community and later manually incorporated
36 > > into the main tree by core developers.
37 > > While this allows better exposure of new submissions it does not prevent
38 > > the bottleneck - core developers will be just as occupied. Than
39 > > self-managed sound like a way to start a big mess unless somebody is going
40 > > to spend a lot of time actively maintaining thing, compiling lists of a
41 > > "worthy", "confirmed by majority", etc.. ebuilds. And actively pushing
42 > > them to the core group. Also having to worry about separate system
43 > > incarnation looks like a possibility to start a fork where you might avoid
44 > > doing so. After all these systems will have different requirements.
45 > >
46 > > Another possibility is to use the same infrastructure, but add new
47 > > specificator to the package name, which will mark it as "unstable". Allow
48 > > unstable ebuilds to appear in the main tree but these will be installed
49 > > (and reported) only if you use special flag (for example --allow-unstable)
50 > > with emerge (ebuild as a low-level utility I guess should just do whatever
51 > > you ask it to). After all this is similar to what people do now with not
52 > > yet incorporated ebuilds.
53 > > Users of unstable ebuilds can and are requested to report on
54 > > usability/stability of an ebuild by setting some flag in the package dir
55 > > or somewhere in the database, which should be counted when user rsyncs
56 > > again. Certain policy can be set, so that for example packages
57 > > accumulating enough voices should automatically be granted for example
58 > > "confirmed" status. There might be additional layer of (even manual) check
59 > > through which the package should go to get "approved" status (and the
60 > > removal of specificator form ebuild name).
61 > > I am apparently thinking in favour of this one as it seems things can be
62 > > setup more cleanly this way (avoiding any reason for possible forking)
63 > > while allowing everybody to have easier access to all functionality. Users
64 > > can choose to stick with "approved" packages if stability is of most
65 > > concern, "confirmed" if some more functionality is desired or even
66 > > "unstable" to access all packages (and of course anybody anytime can
67 > > force-install any package). To provide this functionality emerge can check
68 > > make.conf for -allow-status flag for example. The tree can even be
69 > > synchronised on user machine according to set stability level.
70 > > The main benefit of setting up something along these lines is that newly
71 > > submitted ebuilds get much broader attention. Especially recalling
72 > > numerous calls for setting up the list of new ebuild submissions so that
73 > > newcomers can start to actively contribute to the system, while allowing
74 > > "core" people to concentrate on essential stuff.
75 > >
76 > > George
77 >
78 > George,
79 > After reading the messages in this thread (particularly the last two
80 > posted by you) I'd like to say that I agree with you and to add a couple of
81 > thoughts of my own.
82 >
83 > I like the idea of having ebuilds submitted via bugs.gentoo.org being made
84 > easily available to all gentoo users -- keeping one interface for
85 > submission is a good idea.
86 >
87 > However instead of (as well as) your multiple package state levels how
88 > about this (this is all just hypthesis, I don't know if it is possible, I
89 > don't know enough about all the tools used):
90 >
91 > Multiple cvs branches along the lines of this:
92 >
93 > Testing Branch - primarily for use by developers.
94 > - new ebuilds from bugs.gentoo.org come in here
95 > - If there is no activity on an ebuild (it's bug)
96 > for 14 days it get's moved to Unstable
97 >
98 > Unstable Branch - ebuilds that have made it out of testing and *should*
99 > work for most users
100 > - flagged as Stable after 28 days of nil activity on the bug
101 > - need to be reviewd by gentoo dev team before getting into
102 > Stable
103 >
104 > Stable Branch - ebuilds that have made it out of Unstable and are suitable
105 > for general consupmtion.
106 > - the beginning of the "next" gentoo release branch
107 >
108 > Release Branch - ebuilds that are the *current* release of gentoo
109 > - no changes (except critical security and bug fixes) to
110 > be made to this branch
111 >
112 > My proposal to integrate this into the portage system and give users a
113 > means of selecting which branch they wish to rsync against.
114 >
115 > eg:
116 > root@gentoobox # GENTOOBRANCH="UNSTABLE" emerge rsync
117 > ... updating /usr/portage/unstable from cvs.gentoo.org/unstable
118 >
119 > or
120 >
121 > root@gentoobox # emerge rsync
122 > ... updating /usr/portage/release from cvs.gentoo.org
123 >
124 > ie: emerge defaults to using the release branch.
125 >
126 > It may mean a slightly larger /usr/portage for some users (particularly
127 > devs), but I think it is needed to reduce the rash of -rX ebuilds that are
128 > coming out as the developers _react_ to all the problems that are occuring.
129 >
130 > This will also allow new users to install a version of gentoo that will
131 > actually work first go. Then as they get comfortable with the system they
132 > can start to experiment, first with Stable ebuilds and then move on to
133 > Unstable and become part of the development process.
134 >
135 > Just my $0.02, either way I'm still going to continue to use gentoo, it is
136 > by far the best way to learn about and use linux going.
137 >
138 > --
139 > Troy Dack
140 > http://linuxserver.tkdack.com
141 >
142 > "...Unix, MS-DOS, and Windows NT (also known as the Good, the Bad, and
143 > the Ugly)." (By Matt Welsh)
146 > gentoo-dev mailing list
147 > gentoo-dev@g.o