From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] custom-cflags global USE
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 15:04:00
1 On Friday 23 February 2007, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 01:40 +0100, Carsten Lohrke wrote:
3 > > And I'd be fond of having all the -ffast-math filtering ripped out of the
4 > > tree as well.
5 >
6 > Except some things really do not compile with it enabled. Now, if
7 > you're meaning you'd prefer patch every compilation failure using
8 > -ffast-math instead, then I'd say go for it. Patches are always a
9 > better solution than workarounds.
10
11 Except that software not working with -ffast-math is not in the wrong at all.
12 It is like specifying -fno-rtti for a c++ program. If rtti is not used, this
13 is fine. It is a part of the standard however, and this makes the compiler
14 not except all standard-compliant code. These options are there to enable
15 better code generation when it is known that the named features are not
16 needed. They should never be globally enabled.
17
18 Paul
21 Paul de Vrieze
22 Gentoo Developer