From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revision bumps vs git commits atomicity
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2016 16:42:07
1 On 12/02/2016 10:14 AM, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 >
3 > If both policies are to be followed, users will see something like:
4 > foo-1.0 -> foo-1.1-r8 (assuming each sufficient change was made as
5 > a separate commit with a revision bump).
6 >
7 > While such versioning change is technically correct, it is
8 > confusing for our users and makes future maintainance harder,
9 > because of multiple file renames (yeah, I know about git diff
10 > --find-renames, but this kludge is not perfect).
11
12 Do you have a situation in mind where going from -r0 to -r8 in one `git
13 push` is a problem? What maintenance becomes harder? I can see how it
14 could be confusing, but only in the sense that we've been doing it wrong
15 for so long that now it's surprising to see it done right. Now it makes
16 sense: the -r8 version contains 8 more fixes than -r0.
17
18 I should be able to `git checkout` any commit in the repo and have the
19 tree not be broken. Your proposal eliminates that guarantee, and the bar
20 for doing so should be high, I think.