From: Jerry A! <jerry@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Permissions to dial out ?
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 02:14:08
1 On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 09:04:07AM +0100, Viktor Lakics wrote:
2 : Hi All,
3 :
4 : How can I give access to normal users to use serial ports? (I want to use a
5 : modem on one of the serial ports and a palm cradle on the other)
6 :
7 : I added the user to the dialout group - no success to use the modem.
8
9 That's the correct solution.
10
11 : It says : ttyS0: Device or resource is busy (root can use the device without
12 : problems)
13
14 Make sure that they're using /dev/ttyS0 (/dev/cua0 is owned by root).
15 It sounds as though another program still has that device open. As a
16 matter of debugging, you may want to try making the dialing program suid
17 root and see if it works then.
18
19 BTW, what program are you using?
20
21 --Jerry
22
23 name: Jerry Alexandratos || Open-Source software isn't a
24 phone: 703.599.6023 || matter of life or death...
25 email: jerry@×××××××.org || ...It's much more important
26 || than that!