From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Project, GLEP, or skip it?
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 13:23:27
1 On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 09:04 -0400, Dave Nebinger wrote:
2 > So I've been hacking around here at home on this project I'm calling
3 > GAMPP (Gentoo Apache MySQL PHP Perl) and am getting to the point that
4 > I need to decide:
5 >
6 > a) Should I make this publicly available?
7
8 I would say yes.
9
10 > b) How do I make it publicly available (i.e. host locally if I don't
11 > get too much traffic, try to open sourceforge project to host under,
12 > etc.)
13
14 If you don't think that you can host it yourself, then sourceforce would
15 probably be a good place. If there's enough interest in it, it could
16 very likely become an official Gentoo project. Even without an
17 "official" status, it could be added to the tree.
18
19 > c) Would something like this merit becoming a Gentoo Hosted Project?
20
21 As far as I know, no. It would become a "Gentoo Project", not a "Gentoo
22 Hosted Project". As far as I can tell, the difference is that a hosted
23 project, while Gentoo-written and maintained, is capable of running on
24 non-Gentoo machines. For example, both catalyst and genkernel are
25 "Gentoo Hosted Projects" and are able to be run on non-Gentoo machines
26 just fine.
27
28 > d) Is this something for a GLEP?
29
30 This isn't an enhancement for Gentoo Linux, but a separate project. The
31 only reason for a GLEP is to change how things in Gentoo work. Adding a
32 package never requires a GLEP.
33
34 > e) Or should I just stuff it as a crazy idea that no one else would
35 > want and/or appreciate?
36
37 I think it would be a good idea.
38
39 How comprehensive is this? Is this something like a cPanel/Plesk clone
40 or is it simpler than that?
41
42 > Any thoughs, suggestions, or opinions are welcome.
43 >
44 > Yes, flames are welcome too (It's been awhile since my butt's been
45 > singed, I'm about due ;-)
46
47 Well, since I can't think of anything technical. You stink. ;]
50 Chris Gianelloni
51 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
52 x86 Architecture Team
53 Games - Developer