From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Stack smash protected daemons
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 16:31:04
1 On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 16:05:13 +0200 Thierry Carrez <koon@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | SSP is very useful, and it should be used on all executables on a
4 | given machine. I don't think we should only use it to protect daemons
5 | and SUID programs, since a lot of buffer overflows are discovered in
6 | client software and they are also a way of remotely compromising a
7 | machine. If you protect only exposed services, attackers will turn to
8 | passive attacks, like virus images, to always exploit the weakest
9 | link.
10
11 Ok, so what you're basically saying is that you want a variable which
12 enables -fstack-protector for any c executable at a global level. I'd
13 like to propose a variable called 'CFLAGS' which can be set in make.conf
14 for that kind of thing.
17 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
18 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
19 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm