From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] License for Google Chrome
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 12:23:54
1 On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 6:51 PM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
2 > Perhaps I used the wrong term here. I mean that 2.2 (B) allows the
3 > user to download and install the software without having to explicitly
4 > click the "Agree" button on the software download page.
5
6 I did not review the Chrome license, but speaking generally:
7
8 1. RESTRICT=mirror must be used if anything in the license prevents
9 free redistribution. I'd suggest that if the license isn't OSDL
10 approved give it a VERY close look. Simply mirroring a file is a
11 violation of copyright law, and so Gentoo MUST accept license terms to
12 do it.
13
14 2. RESTRICT=fetch generally is only needed if there is no reliable
15 way to fetch a file (such as if upstream doesn't provide a stable URL,
16 sticks the file behind an interactive website, etc). Gentoo does not
17 need to accept a license to allow users to fetch a file directly, so
18 the EULA/license in itself doesn't necessarily force us to use
19 RESTRICT=fetch. Most of the time this is a moot point, as upstreams
20 that are concerned with forcing people to accept EULAs tend to not
21 provide stable URLs. If upstream raised a stink over using a stable
22 URL we would probably give serious thought to blocking fetches - in
23 theory not doing so is legal, but many people have been successfully
24 sued for providing links, or for deep-linking.
25
26 Rich