From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] IPython 7.17 drops Python 3.6 support AKA upgrade reminder
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2020 10:15:36
1 On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 3:29 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > I would like to take this as an opportunity to remind you to port your
4 > packages to Python 3.7 and 3.8. According to our timeline [1], packages
5 > that are not ported by the end of the year are going to be last rited.
6 > We would also like to switch to 3.8 in December.
7 >
8 > [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Python/Implementations#Implementation_support_timeline
9
10 So, has anybody given thought to publishing a list of packages that
11 still need to be updated, including their maintainers?
12
13 Or perhaps filing bugs?
14
15 Or is the plan to go ahead and watching nothing happen for the next
16 few months, then start masking hundreds of packages, and then watch
17 devs scramble to fix problems they didn't realize existed?
18
19 Just based on what is already happening, it seems like most devs don't
20 really care what versions of python are supported by their packages,
21 let alone the dependencies of their packages. Expecting that to
22 change is just going to lead to a lot of frustration.
23
24 I don't think it is productive to just keep doing the same thing until
25 either the python team ragequits, or until we no longer have anything
26 that uses python left in the tree.
27
28 My guess is that a bit more communication will end up turning your
29 "enemies" into your allies, and ideally cut down on the amount of
30 masking/etc you have to do in the first place. It certainly will be
31 less intrusive for users than having masks pop up and disappear.
34 Rich