From: "Francesco R." <vivo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [test/suggestion request] MySQL rc scripts
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 05:06:11
1 ---> ChangeLog extract
2 19 Nov 2005; Francesco Riosa <vivo@g.o> +files/mysql-slot.conf.d,
3 +files/mysql-slot.rc6:
4 These two are born for slotted MySQL, however they work as is on normal
5 MySQL
6 installations too. (require my_print_defaults)
7 Features added or changed
8 - Not using mysqld_safe anymore
9 - preparsing of my.cnf file, all options outed at startup
10 - (possible to) override my.cnf option from conf.d/mysql
11 - Start multiple server with different config files
12 - using new svc "--nicelevel" option, nice level may be specified on per
13 server basis
14 - stronger error handling
15 - some new warnings
16 - slotted mysql management
17 <--- ChangeLog extract
18
19 Since these script have some improvements and since they are compatible
20 with the current stable, probably I'll bump the stable MySQL version to
21 use them (no, not tomorrow but not so far in time).
22
23 However my knowledge of "sys-apps/baselayout" is not so deep, so could
24 someone take a look at the two ?
25
26 Things that I'm worried about:
27
28 - They use a good quantity of bash magic, how much it's compatible with
29 every gentoo supported system?
30 - Will be future changes of baselayout be compatible with ?
31 - how much is it compatible with *past* release of baselayout ?
32 - and with sys-apps/*layout?
33 - the rc-script force "start-stop-daemon" to start multiple daemons from
34 the same script, how is it good/bad, thoughts ?
35 - the code is readable or an effort should be done to make it simplyer ?
36
37 please add your own here
40 provided you have dev-db/mysql already emerged testing is as easy as:
41
42 # mv /etc/init.d/mysql /etc/init.d/mysql~
43 # /etc/init.d/mysql stop
44 # cp ${PORTDIR}/dev-db/mysql/files/mysql-slot.conf.d /etc/conf.d/mysql
45 # cp ${PORTDIR}/dev-db/mysql/files/mysql-slot.rc6 /etc/init.d/mysql
46 # chmod +x /etc/init.d/mysql
47 # /etc/init.d/mysql start
48
49 TIA,