From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New network config for baselayout-ng
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 15:14:30
1 On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 09:47:33 -0500
2 Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > So this means that you are planning to stop development of the
5 > current baselayout in favor of baselayout-ng?
6
7 No. baselayout will get all the nice features that baselayout-ng will
8 get, except that it will force bash to match the documentation.
12 > > We still need something that is "array like" for want of a better
13 > > phrase, so how about delimiting using ; like so
14 > > config_eth0="10.1.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0; 10.1.1.2/24"
17 > Couldn't you use the current config on bash shells and parse it to
18 > something like that on non-bash. There is no reason why the shell
19 > needs to source the config file, it could be parsed just as easily,
20 > and writing the parser shouldn't be too hard with a bit of sed magic.
21
22 Not being rude or anything, but what does it take to get this into
23 peoples mindlessly thick skulls?
24
25 THE CONFIG FILE HAS TO BE PARSEABLE BY ANY SHELL
26
27 or
28
29 EVERY SHELL HAS TO BE PATCHED TO UNDERSTAND BASH ARRAYS
30
31 Simply put, this has to work where /bin/sh is any valid POSIX shell.
32
33 #!/bin/sh
34 . /etc/conf.d/net
35
36 The third alternative is that we drop baselayout and use upstart,
37 init-ng, einit, runit, or something else which will require more than
38 just a change to /etc/conf.d/net
39
40 Thanks
41