From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Clarify the "as-is" license?
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 19:29:17
1 Ulrich Mueller schrieb:
2 >> Why not directly use the FSF freedoms:
3 >> The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
4 >> The freedom to study how the program works, and change it so it does
5 >> your computing as you wish (freedom 1).
6 >> The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor
7 >> (freedom 2).
8 >> The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others
9 >> (freedom 3).
10 >
11 >> I think when combined appropriately, they nicely cover most of the
12 >> cases of current "as-is" packages.
13 >
14 > This has been suggested before, but for license groups. The problem
15 > is that the four freedoms are good criteria for Free Software, but
16 > there's no good mapping to the elements of most non-free licenses.
17 >
18 > Try it yourself for a few concrete cases (of non-free licenses in our
19 > tree), and you'll see what I mean.
20
21 I tried it on two non-free packages that I maintain (bitstream-cyberbit
22 and radeon-ucode) and it works well there:
23
24 bitstream-cyberbit: 0 but not 1, 2 or 3.
25 radeon-ucode: 0 and 2 but not 1 or 3.
28 Best regards,
29 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn