From: "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Including a warning to restart daemons after an update.
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 11:30:27
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 After updating libraries, I always run something like
4
5 lsof -x / | grep DEL
6
7 to see if any running binaries are linking to old libraries that were
8 just updated and then I manually restart them. This is particularly
9 important if the update addresses some security issue in the library.
10
11 Debian and its derivatives take the drastic step of restarting the
12 daemons for you, which is, in my opinion, undesirable. I'd like to be
13 in control of when I upgrade and when I restart my daemons.
14
15 OpenSuse has a nice solution. After an upgrade, it tells you that there
16 are some running binaries still linking against the old libraries and
17 asks you to run "zypper ps" to see them in a pretty format. You can
18 then restart at your discretion.
19
20 I'm wondering if we should add something like that? Something to be run
21 post_inst() and just ewarn the user. It could be a small eclass on its
22 own that maintainers can elect to inherit and use in ebuilds for daemons.
23
24 What do you think? If its a good idea, is implementing it in an eclass
25 the way to go?
28 Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.
29 Chair of Information Technology
30 D'Youville College