From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] version/slot locked dependencies in eclasses like autotools.eclass and vala.eclass
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 03:18:02
1 On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 12:34 PM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 01/22/2018 11:37 AM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
3 >>>
4 >>> If the dependencies are to remain in the eclasses, then the eclasses
5 >>> should get a new revision when those dependencies change. Afterwards,
6 >>> the consumers can be revbumped and stabilized normally to utilize the
7 >>> new eclass.
8 >>
9 >> While that sounds like the right thing to do in theory, updating all
10 >> consumers of autotools.eclass whenever a new version of automake is
11 >> stabilized is really a lot of work for very little benefit.
12 >
13 > Is now a good time to reconsider why we're manually listing stable
14 > versions of automake in autotools.eclass?
15
16 Yeah, it seems like we might be able to replace it with an unbounded dependency.
17
18 For the purpose of automake-wrapper, we might set an environment
19 variable using the output of "best_version dev-utils/automake".