From: Arun Raghavan <ford_prefect@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The fallacies of GLEP55
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 04:56:54
1 On Sat, 2009-05-16 at 20:21 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 [...]
3 > Can't do that. The package manager has to barf on unrecognised .ebuild
4 > files.
5
6 I assume the reasons are the same as below.
7
8 > > If this is not viable, make an unrecognised version string cause the
9 > > same fallback as an unsupported EAPI => ignore the ebuild. Again, fast
10 > > track to stable portage, and not so long after, you're done.
11 >
12 > Again, no good. First, it means a year or more wait before doing
13 > anything. Second, it removes a whole level of error checking. Third, it
14 > means a package manager can't know what versions are available for a
15 > package without generating metadata for every potential version.
16
17 1) Why a year? I'd say 4-6 months after portage goes stable is fine.
18
19 2) Replace the errors with warnings. And these need to exist only at
20 'repoman manifest' time, so they're not end-user-visible (and don't need
21 to be).
22
23 -- Arun
24
25 3) This is again, when the metadata is uncached, which is not the normal
26 case and can be ignored. And the (minor) performance penalty in the
27 cached case, if any, is not reason enough to make this change.