From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: The future of sys-apps/openrc in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 19:07:05
1 On Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:37:34 Richard Freeman wrote:
2 > On 08/24/2010 11:57 PM, Nathan Zachary wrote:
3 > > If we are going to endorse using OpenRC,
4 > > the more relevant issues are the ones regarding its future development.
5 >
6 > Is the future development of OpenRC more problematic than the future
7 > development of baselayout-1? As far as I can tell, baselayout-1 never
8 > had an upstream, and never will have one.
9
10 wtf are you talking about ? Gentoo was always been the upstream of it.
11
12 > It seems like the debate is around openrc vs systemd or whatever. I
13 > think the debate we need to settle first is openrc vs baselayout-1.
14 > Otherwise we're going to end up maintaining TWO different legacy init.d
15 > systems while we spend the next few years aiming for yet another target.
16
17 no clue what you're talking about. Gentoo wrote baselayout from scratch, and
18 then rewrote baselayout-2 from scratch in C to address some fundamental issues
19 at the time. then Roy stepped up to do a lot of the work and when he decided
20 to part ways from Gentoo over POSIX shell/ebuild issues, but wanted to keep
21 working on baselayout-2, we allowed him to do this. so he renamed the core
22 bits to openrc and moved the development off of Gentoo infra.
23
24 > Wouldn't it make more sense to clean up openrc and get it deployed, even
25 > if in the long-term we decide to get rid of it?
26
27 it's already cleaned up. this is the "squash regressions from baselayout-1
28 and make sure all stable packages are happy with it" phase.
29 -mike