From: Geoffrey Finch <gfinch1@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] installation problems
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 11:39:54
1 Is there anyway to setup dial up during the live-cd install process. If not, what is the best way for someone without access to broadband to get all the packages needed to bootstrap? The current situation I have is that I created the partitions, been doing things step by step off the website, I got as far as emerge sync, which needed the portage tree, I downloaded and burned the portage tarball, extracted it into /usr, then ran the scripts/bootstrap.sh about halfway through that process, it began looking for baselayout files, and began a reattempt at downloading more files. of course it can't because I'm only on dial-up and haven't configured dialup, I looked at a few faqs and how-to's on dialup, but the dial-up modules are not active for me to use, so as far as I know, I can't download anything during the process due to lack of ppp. Any help would be greatly appeciated, if there's any extra instructions(extra tarballs to download, and where to put them) I would really appreciate it, I want to break into linux, and I want it to be gentoo.