From: Marko Mikulicic <marko@××××.org>
To: Matthew Kennedy <mbkennedy@×××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dist name...
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 10:40:45
1 Matthew Kennedy wrote:
2 > This is just my own opinion as a user...
3 >
4 > It really does matter to some, including myself. I direct you to the
5 > Debian mail archives for the reasons why "GNU/" is correct :-) Plus it
6 > would be cool if newbies stopped asking me "Where can I download Linux
7 > 7.3?" and getting my stock, but confusing response, "You can get Linux
8 > from ftp.kernel.org"
9
10 But why don't call it Gentoo Apache/Trolltech/BSD/KDE/GNU Linux ;-p
11 Just kidding. I think we don't need such debates, because this
12 distro will never be for newbies (or at list this is by humile opinion),
13 they
14 will be more happy with SuSe or Mandrake. People who know something
15 about linux will know what's the GNU thing and will see that
16 Gentoo Linux is something concrete as opposed to Gentoo Hurd, for example,
17 wich is a set of software organized by a team of people and choosen, patched
18 and grouped together to make a complete system for a given platform.
19 The fact that it is 80% GNU doesn't mean nothing, because GNU is not
20 the platform (since GNU runs on slowaris, windows, hurd, linux, BSDs,...).
21 Don't get me wrong; I think that sometimes GNU/Linux is correct, but this
22 doesn't mean that you have to call it always this way.
25 > Besides... it's possible portage might be portable to other
26 > architectures, maybe including Hurd etc. later on. What then? Is it
27 > really that Linux-specific then?
28
29 I would like to try to make a Gentoo Hurd (genthurd ? :-) when
30 the next stable release (december ?).
31 The debian project makes also Debian Hurd; why Gentoo couldn't
32 also use a different kernel? Sure there are big differences, but on
33 a relatively little code base in the core packages and in startup scripts.
34 I think the portage system will be of great help for Hurd, because
35 it's easier to update software from sources than to expect to have binary
36 packages for a plaform which is not so popular yet, but most sources compile
37 out of the box.
38 Remember you all download big part of the "Unix/Posix" interface of Hurd
39 every time you build glibc :-) (glibc is full of Hurd "hacks", hurd is
40 the kernel
41 of GNU and glibc is also GNU...)
42
43 Does anyone here had experience with hurd? I installed an old
44 debian hurd, and I had hard time trying to recompile everything a most
45 recent version.
46 Could gentoo's portage could be used for Hurd ?
47 What parts of gentoo do you think must be changed in order
48 to run in a muti-server microkernel based system, with fancy thinks
49 like "translators" (instead of mount, ...). Only the bootstrap or there is
50 something more, and less obvious than this?
51
52 Marko