From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Requirements for UID/GID management
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2017 04:21:27
1 On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 9:37 PM, Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > I don't think we need to have stable UIDs/GIDs in the "normal" case of
4 > standalone users with a single Gentoo system at home.
5
6 Of course, but as you point out the enterprise case has more
7 sophisticated solutions. I think the case of somebody running in a
8 home setting or a very small server setting is the main issue.
9
10 It isn't like inconsistent UIDs are the end of the world. However,
11 IMO it still makes sense to at least try to standardize such things.
12 Really, if you have a package always installing the same user simply
13 sticking a default UID without any effort to avoid collisions is
14 better than nothing, but having a wiki page where people can register
15 UIDs isn't that big a deal.
16
17 If it fails, it fails...
20 Rich