From: Stewart Honsberger <blkdeath@g.o>
To: John Davis <zhen@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-core@g.o, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] Gentoo part IIa.
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 19:09:24
1 John Davis wrote:
2 > Step back for a minute and recognize the ramifications of those numbers. The product that
3 > we baby and work on is used by over a _quarter of a million_ people.
4 Over a _quarter of
5 >a million_ people rely on our QA procedure for stable packages, our
6 security, our openness.
7 > No matter what your political philosophy, this fact should awe you.
8
9 That's a point I'd have to disagree with you on. A quarter of a million
10 people enjoy our quick turn-around time and ease for users to become
11 involved in the development of the distribution. If they're relying on
12 us for stability or any kind of guarantee of reliability, sorry, but
13 they're in the wrong place. Debian, RedHat are thattaway -->
14
15 Gentoo is a bleeding-edge hacker's distribution. It's Linux From Scratch
16 with a package manager. It is not a corporate or enterprise platform.
17
18 It could develop to the point where we maintain our current status quo
19 *AND* we find ourselves with a stable branch upon which businesses can
20 rely, but that is not Gentoo, nor will it be Gentoo if we overlay it
21 with politics and beaurocracy to the point where users are afraid to get
22 involved and we find a wedge between the developers and the user base.
23
24 If it comes to such a time, I will resign as a developer. I didn't sign
25 up for this to be some sort of elite beaurocrat with voting authority
26 and managerial restrictions. I signed up for it so that I could
27 contribute ebuilds without going through a middle-man.
28
29 Your proposal was well written, obviously thought out, and quite
30 eloquent. However, I think you'd be better served to submit it to
31 Debian-Private.
34 Stewart Honsberger
35 Gentoo Developer
36 http://www.snerk.org/