From: "Bryan Østergaard" <kloeri@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] missing metadata.xml
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 23:34:21
1 On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 02:08:12PM -0700, Steve Dibb wrote:
2 > Hi guys,
3 >
4 > There are more than a few packages with missing metadata.xml in the
5 > portage tree. I've setup my funky little QA website to report on which
6 > ones fall in that category, and here is the list right here:
7 >
8 > http://spaceparanoids.org/gentoo/gpnl/qa.php?q=metadata
9 >
10 > I've spent the morning fixing up most of them, adding blank metadata.xml
11 > to them and assigning maintainer-needed@g.o as the main
12 > maintainer, which in hindsight was probably not the best approach (my
13 > apologies).
14 >
15 > Anyway, either way, it would be nice to get the few remaining packages
16 > cleaned up, and if one of your packages is on that list, please update
17 > or create the metadata.
18 >
19 > I'll still be going through the rest of them and sorting out which ones
20 > were last maintained by a dev that is now retired and continue assigning
21 > them to maintainer-needed.
22 >
23 I think the most important thing about adding "empty" metadata.xml files
24 with maintainer-needed as maintainer is that it _changes_ the package to
25 be unmaintained by definition (that's what maintainer-needed means after
26 all) and that we can't be sure that's actually true unless we spend a
27 lot of time examining each package and asking potential maintainers
28 if it's unmaintained.
29
30 So while I enjoy getting metadata cleaned up etc. I think it's important
31 to think about exactly what we're doing before "fixing" up a lot of
32 packages - in this case 300+ packages. You (all devs!) might even want
33 to ask on -dev ML if it's a good idea before touching up a huge number
34 of packages to make sure you don't change things in subtle,
35 unintentional ways.
36
37 Anyway, I appreciate you spending time on cleaning up the metadata.xml
38 files even if it might not have been the best idea in hindsight.
39
40 Regards,
41 Bryan Østergaard
42 --