From: Nekun <nekokun@××××××××.cc>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] TEXTRELs in assembly program
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 21:07:40
1 Hi all,
2
3 Working on the fasm ebuild, have some questions:
4
5 1. fasm is written on itself and has two variants: self-contained binary
6 for x86 and amd64 and linked with libc only for x86. Also, there are
7 tools for working with the proprietary symbolic information format which
8 is libc-linked and only x86. So, I provide two USEs, fail in pkg_setup
9 if we on amd64 host and hasn't multilib profile if they are set and link
10 it with default CC with -m32. Not sure it's a 'clean' way, would be
11 happy to get some clarification about handling such cases.
12
13 2. When running my ebuild, got two warnings: one about text relocations,
14 other about executable stack. Second problem seems trivial, just apply
15 patches which adds corresponding ELF sections. But the first one is not
16 clear: I found that TEXTRELs occurs due to default '--pie' option passed
17 to ld by gcc and seems like it isn't possible to remove default ld
18 options (only add to), so I can construct ld commandline for linking
19 with libc manually and resolve a bunch of corner cases... But is
20 avoiding TEXTRELs in assembly programs really necessary? Performance
21 issues in case of assembly-written assembler seems negligible... What's
22 best according to ::gentoo policies?
23
24 See ebuild draft in attachment.