From: Hasse Hagen Johansen <hhj@××××××××××.dk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] using more than one kernel
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 20:50:55
1 On Sun, 2003-06-01 at 21:27, Peter Ruskin wrote:
4 > > it would be nice to have a way to be able to run something like
5 > > emerge new-kernel
6 > > after compiling a new kernel. this could be done with an ebuilkd
7 > > variable that registers an ebuild as being dependant on the kernel?
10 I think it would be nice to keep the alsa modules for more than one
11 kernel at a time (shouldn't be a problem, modules are in different
12 directories anyway).
13
14 Couldn't the alsa-drivers ebuild just be changed so it doesn't unmerge
15 the modules, if I am gonna change kernel I would still have to manually
16 delete /lib/modules/x.x.x because of all the other modules not "managed"
17 b ebuilds.
18
19 In my opinion the ebuilds shouldn't "control" kernel modules at all.
20
21 For me it is frustrating. I have at low latency patched kernel for audio
22 work, and another when I am not making music. It would be nice if I
23 didn't need to reemerge alsa-drivers, when switching between those
24 kernels.
27 Regards
28
29 Hasse Johansen