From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] xorg-x11-6.8.0-r4 needs testers
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 00:00:11
1 In -r4 (previously -r2), we've moved /usr/X11R6/lib to /usr/lib and
2 created a symlink. This obviously results in some significant changes.
3
4 6.8.0-r4 is hard-masked. It will take a little work to emerge. If you
5 can't figure out how to test it, I'd prefer that you don't test it for
6 now.
7
8 It adds some new USE flags that most of you will want to enable,
9 including: font-server, opengl, truetype-fonts, type1-fonts and xv. They
10 are all described in /usr/portage/profiles/use.* so I won't describe
11 them again. I will be adding most of these flags to the defaults in
12 profiles, with the possible exception of font-server.
13
14 Another USE flag that I'm pleased with is "minimal." It disables
15 building all of the sample clients, all of the fonts and many of the
16 drivers. A test install using this was 28MB, compared to 100MB-150MB for
17 a full-featured install.
18
19 The final new flag is uclibc, for people using a uclibc-based Gentoo
20 installation.
21
22 There are also a number of miscellaneous fixes, including bugs:
23 38549: Newport acceleration (MIPS machines)
24 70431: Fix Xnest segfaults
25 64929, 59746, 60131: Fix totem, kaffeine, gxine lockups
26 63767: Support Cherry CyMotion Master XPress and IBM Space Saver
27 keyboards
28 67845: Fix dual-monitor Radeon setups
29 68414: Build the Lucida 75dpi and 100dpi fonts
30 68726: Add xbox nvidia driver
31 fd.o 1501: Prevent libGL segfault when /dev/dri/card* are unreadable
32 64618: Fix unresolved symbol problems when using hardened and the
33 dlloader
34
35 Please file a bug at bugs.gentoo.org for each problem you encounter.
36
37 I'm unaware of any problems with the migration -r4 at present. However,
38 downgrading without uninstalling -r4 will result in any other versions
39 being installed to the symlinked /usr/X11R6/lib also. If anyone has a
40 good solution to this, please file a bug.
41
42 Thanks,
43 Donnie
47 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list