From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@×××××××.no>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Issues with mplayer-0.18pre ebuild
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 08:52:38
1 On Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 12:31:08PM +0200, Mikael Hallendal wrote:
2
3 > This depends on what userbase we have/want to have. Most packages you
4 > install you want to check the config before you are using them. So I
5 > don't think we have to mention everytime there are a configure-file
6 > available in a package.
7 >
8 > Most of our current users are advanced Linux users and doesn't need to
9 > be told about the possibility to configure packages.
10
11 I'm not advocating "dumbing down" our users; but I do think it only fair
12 to make a notice to the user that "this package does, contrary to what one
13 would expect, does not work without manual configuration".
14
15 I find it repulsive that I have to manually configure my video player to
16 get it to run at all. I have not problems accepting that I will have to
17 manually tweak it to obtain optimal performance. But the point of using a
18 distro (any kind of distro) in the first place was to avoid doing all the
19 strictly unnecessary details. I would expect the packagers to set up
20 reasonable defaults in the configuration files, whenever that is possible.
21
22 In this specific case, it seems to be very possible, since what I did to
23 get mplayer to run was simply unpack the codecs.conf.gz file into
24 .mplayer/codecs.conf of the user that should run mplayer, and it all
25 worked okay.
28 Kind regards,
29
30 Karl T