From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Maintainer's guides?
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 17:45:45
1 On Thursday 24 November 2005 12:31, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2 > What I'm waiting for now are comments if someone has ideas where to put
3 > guides that does not belong directly to an existant project. And if someone
4 > wants to join the effort of documenting maintenance process for his
5 > packages, it would be helpful, too.
6 Trying not to let this idea die, as I still think it might be good in the long
7 run, especially if there's a way to get them collected in a single place.
8 Right now the main problem is that they are spread across projects (at least
9 video/sound projects).
10
11 Possible solutions I thought of:
12
13 1) have every herd controlled by a project, so that the maintainers' guides
14 can be committed there; it would be difficult to find the maintainer's guide
15 for a package this way;
16 2) have a single repository for maintainers' guides that does not belong to
17 other projects;
18 3) have a single repository for *every* maintainers' guide.
19
20 The problem with 1 and 2 is that the maintainers' guides would be difficult to
21 locate in the mess of projects. The problem of 3 is that we have already
22 complex maintainers' guides such as xine's and the one spyderous wrote for
23 X11 herd, that might be difficult to fit in a single organization..
24
25 To solve 1's and 2's problem, the solution could be adding a <maintainerguide>
26 tag to metadata.xml, that carries the URL to the maintainer's guide for the
27 package. It would also make simpler, for example, the case where a single
28 guide is used for more than one package (see always xine's).
31 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/
32 Gentoo/ALT lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE