From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] sys-meta/* to own and control /bin/{cpio,sh,tar,...} symlinks (alternatives-ish)
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 17:49:04
1 On Wed, 2022-11-23 at 08:38 +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
2 >
3 > What are the advantages of proposed solution over eselect?
4 > ==========================================================
5
6 I think it's also worth mentioning the advantages over the usual
7 virtual approach, where we have a virtual pull in one implementation
8 and the implementations be responsible for the symlink. Because
9 otherwise that would tick the same boxes.
10
11 Here's one: the sys-meta approach allows you to switch the
12 implementation quickly without rebuilding an entire package. For
13 example, if I meet a package that's broken with /bin/sh -> /bin/dash, I
14 don't want to have to emerge bash to get past that.
15
16 Maybe there are others.