From: jano <jano@××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] XFS on rc6
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 01:52:27
1 Hi...
2
3 While procrastinating, I decided to poke around with other various
4 filesystems. Namely, XFS. I took apart the gentoo iso, dropped in my own
5 patched/compiled smp 2.4.10 kernel, took apart rescue.gz and stuck mkfs.xfs
6 (along with other minor utils for xfs), rebuilt the full iso, and crossed
7 my fingers. Lo and behold... it seems to be working -- then again, I'm
8 still compiling. I really hope I don't wake up tomorrow to find the build
9 process won't work with -j3 ;)
10
11 The procedure to install is same as on the gentoo docs, just replace the
12 mkresierfs with mkfs.xfs *shrug*
13
14 Lemme know if anyone's interested in playing with the 16MB iso (I'd need a
15 site to uplaod to, my dsl only uploads 12k/s). What I'm interested in
16 seeing are docs on how the developers here built that iso in the first
17 place, including the .config for the kernel! The one I built is in no way
18 clean -- i kinda followed instructions of the bootdisk howto to create that
19 rescue.gz, which has extra space in it.
20
21 Also.. does anyone know more about xfs? According to the docs on sgi's
22 site, if you build the kernel+xfs with gcc2.95, you may experience some
23 problems -- i don't know how recent or frequent those errors are.
24
25 Good night,
26 Jano