From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] recovering from corrupted vdb
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 11:16:33
1 Shouldn't portage offer some means to recover from a corrupted vdb?
2
3 I just stumbled upon
4 <http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-900382-start-0-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-.html>
5 and it seems really bad.
6
7 It would suck if the only solution to this is reinstall (I remember
8 package database becoming corrupted in some RPM-based distro I had years
9 ago and I hated it).
10
11 If the recovery is already possible, we should get a doc explaining what
12 to do. Otherwise it'd be really great to implement some recovery logic.
13
14 I think we can't salvage much from a corrupted db (anything can happen,
15 and the reporter mentions some code being present in the files), but at
16 least "emerge -e world" or equivalent should be possible.